The Shipwreck |    Dive Site Conditions
Historical Background   |    Salvage (if any)    |    Sources


Link Index

Home Page

Shipwrecks Page


Albert Galatin

Alice M. Colburn

Alice M. Lawrence


Barge and Crane


Charles S. Haight


Chester Poling

City of Salisbury


Dixie Sword

Edward Rich

French Van Gilder

Henry Endicott


Herman Winter

Hilda Garston

HMCS St. Francis

James Longstreet

John Dwight









Port Hunter





USS Grouse

USS New Hampshire

USS Triana

USS Yankee


Vineyard Sound

Description: Schooner; 4 masts; Wood
Dimensions:   length - 103 ft.    width - 28 ft.   depth - 8 ft.
     Tonnage:     gross - 172        other -
Propulsion: Sail
       Cargo: Coal

The Shipwreck

  Date Sunk: November 28, 1898
         Cause: Bilged
     Location: Naushon Island, Tarpaulin Cove
Coordinates:  Latitude, 41o - 27' - 54"N   Longitude, 70o - 45' - 18"W
    Many nameless storms have ravaged the New England coast leaving in their wake untold tales of misery and destruction. One of the worst was the Portland Gale, November 26-27, 1898. Named after the steamer Portland that sank with nearly 200 persons aboard, this two-day Hurricane caused more damage to shipping in New England, than any other in history. Over 130 vessels were lost, 26 in Vineyard Haven Harbor alone.
    After loading coal at Perth Amboy, N.J., the 4 masted schooner Lunet set sail for her homeport of Bangor Maine. As she entered Vineyard Sound on November 27th, the gale struck forcing her Captain to seek refuge at Tarpaulin Cove, Naushon Island. Located on the western side of the island, largest of the Elizabethan Chain, Tarpaulin Cove was a weather hole for many vessels sailing the outer Cape. With winds from the southwest Lunet anchored near the western shore. Under the lee of the lighthouse the schooner made ready for the coming storm.
    The next day a change in wind direction, from the northeast, accompanied by a blinding snowstorm put the schooner in a dangerous position. Her proximity to the rocks and the reduced visibility prevented her from sailing further into the harbor. If her anchors could not withstand the strain of the 70 mile per hour gusts, she would certainly be destroyed. Suddenly the anchor chain parted and Lunet was flung across the reef at the southwestern entrance to the cove. The force of the impact tore her bottom out. Filling quickly she went down in 60 feet of water on the Sound side of the reef. There were no survivors. When the storm abated only the crosstrees of Lunet's masts marked her final resting-place.

Back to Top

Dive Site Conditions

    Depth in feet:   maximum - 60   minimum -
Visibility in feet:     average -

    Brad Luther first mentioned this dive site in his book "New England Shipwrecks", 1967; "As you round the rocky reef on the southwest corner [of Naushon Island], you will be able to distinguish three distinct beaches separated by boulders." Off the second of these beaches, west of the reef, the shallows quickly give way to a sandbank sloping down to the bottom of Vineyard Sound. At its base, in 60 feet of water, lie Lunet's remains.
    When first dove on in the 1960's she was virtually intact. Her hull had rotted away in places and sections were partially buried but many artifacts were retrieved. So many, that this vessel has probably been stripped by now.

Back to Top

Historical Background

Constructed:   year - 1876   where - Calais, Maine.
                      builder -
Construction details:
Crew:     Master:
Home or Hailing Port: Bangor, Maine.
Former Name(s) and date(s):
Official number: 15896      Country: U.S.A.
Other Comments:
Back to Top


No salvage was ever attempted.
Back to Top

Lippincott's Pronouncing Gazetteer of the World; 1874
Merchant Vessels of the United States; 1898
New England Shipwrecks; Luther, 1967
New York Maritime Register; December 7, 1898
Shipwrecks Around Maine; Quinn, 1983
Ten Years at Ten Fathoms; B.W. Luther

Back to Top

   These files are under construction. Any information, specifically dive site related, would be greatfully appreciated.  

Send comments to: Chris Hugo

Copyright 2000 by Christopher C. Hugo
Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources
All Rights Reserved