The Shipwreck |    Dive Site Conditions
Historical Background   |    Salvage (if any)    |    Sources

U.S.S. Grouse

Link Index

Home Page

Shipwrecks Page


Albert Galatin

Alice M. Colburn

Alice M. Lawrence


Barge and Crane


Charles S. Haight


Chester Poling

City of Salisbury


Dixie Sword

Edward Rich

French Van Gilder

Henry Endicott


Herman Winter

Hilda Garston

HMCS St. Francis

James Longstreet

John Dwight









Port Hunter





USS New Hampshire

USS Triana

USS Yankee


Vineyard Sound

Description: Minesweeper, wood
Dimensions:  length - 136ft.  width - 24 ft. 6 inches  depth - 6 ft. 1 inch
      Tonnage:      gross -          other - displacement - 320.
   Propulsion: Diesel, (2) propellers
   Machinery: 1000 Shaft Horsepower, Geared Diesels
   Armament: (1) 3inch/50; (2) 20mm

The Shipwreck

   Date Sunk: September 21, 1963
          Cause: Grounded (then burned)
      Location: Rockport, on the Little Salvages
Coordinates:     Latitude, 42o - 40' - 24"N    Longitude,70o - 34' - 29"W

   One of thousands of wooden minesweepers launched for service during World War II, Grouse began its career as the YMS-321 and served in the Pacific Theater of war, conducting minesweeping, convoy escort and shore bombardment activities.
   In the years following the long war in the Pacific, YMS-321 was reclassified AMS-15 and named Grouse. Functioning primarily as a school ship, the vessel trained officers and seamen in mine warfare techniques. It was in this capacity, attached to the First Naval District, that Grouse departed Portsmouth, New Hampshire, September, 1963, for a two week Naval Reserve training cruise.
   Around 2AM, Saturday, September 21, Grouse struck the Little Salvages, a string of sharp submerged shoals off Rockport, Massachusetts. The incident occurred near high water. As the tide fell the little ship soon found itself high and dry. Initial attempts to free the vessel, with the rising tide, prove futile and all but a skeleton crew were removed. But by the next day 30 mile per hour winds and towering seas forced a helicopter evacuation of the remaining 11 crewmen.
   Although the minesweeper's fate didn't look hopeful, the Navy was confident the ship could be removed. Captain Alfred S. Cleaves, Deputy Chief of Staff for Naval Reserves and Training, directed salvage operations from the tug Keywadin, which had been dispatched from Boston soon after the incident. As weather conditions moderated, Naval tugs attempted to pull Grouse from its rocky embrace. But time after time the towlines parted or fickle weather again turned foul interrupting salvage operations. On September 26th the last remaining salvage crewman was removed by helicopter as high seas suspended yet another attempt to re-float the stranded craft.
   Saturday, September 28th, the Navy announced plans to burn the old World War II veteran after tow cables snapped in the fifth and final attempt to free the stranded ship.
   Sunday, September 29th, The Boston Sunday Globe caption read;
"Sad end for minesweeper Grouse".
"At low tide she was doused with gasoline and about 2PM a flare was fired into the ship. Billows of black smoke rose and within an hour she was an inferno."
   The flames were not extinguished until the tide yet again became high.

Back to Top

Dive Site Conditions

     Depth in feet:    maximum - ;     minimum -
Visibility in feet:      average -

Back to Top

Historical Background

Constructed:     year - 1943;     where - Terminal Island, California
                       builder - Al Larson's Boat Shop
Construction details:
Crew: 36 ;      Master: Lt. (j.g.) Newman (1943-194?); Lt. (j.g.) K.G. Houghton (1958 - ?); Lt. Cmdr. Allen E. McCartney (? - 1963)
Owners: United States Navy
Home or Hailing Port: Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Former Name(s), date(s): YMS-321 (1940 - 1947); Grouse AMS-15 (1947-1955)
Official number: MSC (0) - 15, (1955 - 1963)       Country: U.S.A.
Other Comments:
February 20, 1943 - launched, sponsored by Mrs. H. Doty
October 25, 1943 - commissioned YMS-321
April 21, 1944 - sailed for Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, arriving May 1st.
1944 - conducted minesweeping and patrol duties in the Guam-Saipan-Tinian area. Pressed into service as a convoy escort in these staging areas.
November 28, 1944 - In Tinian harbor during a Japanese air-raid.
1945 - Escorted a convoy to Eniwetok.
March 15, 1945 - swept the harbor at Maug Island, Marianas.
March 16, 1945 - bombarded the beach at Maug Island.
April 1945 - patrolled around Iwo Jima, exploded 2 floating mines while returning to Saipan.
August 15, 1945 - returned to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
August 29, 1945 - returned to San Diego, California.
April 5, 1946 - sailed for the East Coast, arriving Charleston on the 29th.
February 25, 1947 - reclassified AMS-15 and named Grouse.
1947 - 1954 - trained student officers and enlisted men at the Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Virginia. Also participated in experimental work at Countermeasures School and Mine Defense Laboratory, Panama City, Florida.
March 1, 1955 - reclassified MSC (0)-15.
1954 - 1955 - attached to the Hydrographic Office for Project "Vamp" a special coastal survey along the Virginia and Massachusetts shores.
September 7, 1957 - sailed for Portland, Maine.
September 12, 1957 - placed in reserve.
November 13, 1958 - placed back in service, assigned to the First Naval District as a reserve training ship.

Back to Top


   Sunday, September 29, 1963, The Boston Sunday Globe
"All navigational and electronic equipment and other materials of value were stripped from the craft" and the vessel was burned to the waterline. Plans were to dynamite the remaining hull fragments and two huge diesel engines then haul the rubble out to sea.

Back to Top


Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. III; Navy Dept.
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Vol. V; Navy Dept.
The Boston Globe; September 21, 23, 24, 25, 26, 28, 29, 1963

Back to Top

   These files are under construction. Any information, specifically dive site related, would be greatfully appreciated.  

Send comments to: Chris Hugo

Copyright 2000 by Christopher C. Hugo
Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological Resources
All Rights Reserved